Unification Of Religions
Praise be to Allah alone, and salaat and salaam be upon Muhammad, his family, companions and those who righteously follow him until the Day of Judgement.
The Permanent Committee for Islamic Research and Ifta has reviewed the inquiries, opinions and essays propagated in the mass media concerning the Call for the Unification of Religions i.e. Islam, Judaism and Christianity, and studied what has originated from the call to:
- Build a Mosque, a Church and a Jewish Temple in one area, especially in universities, airports and public squares etc.
- Print the Noble Qur'aan, the Torah and the Bible in one book
- Other consequences of such a call in the form of conferences, symposiums and solicitations to be established both in the East and the West.
After comprehensive study the committee resolves the following:
1. One of the fundamentals of Faith in Islam which is known as an essential part of the religion and upon which all Muslims have agreed, is that there is no true religion on the earth except Islam, and that it is the final religion which abrogated all previous religions and creeds.
Therefore, no other religion remains on earth by which Allah can be worshipped except Islam. Allah the Most High says, And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers. [Al-Qur'aan 3:85].
2. One of the fundamentals of faith in Islam is that Allahs Book (the Qur'aan) is the last Book that was revealed by the Cherisher of the Worlds. It abrogated all the Books revealed by Allah before it such as the Torah, the Psalms, and the Bible and as such, no other Book has been left by which Allah can be worshipped except the Qur'aan. Allah the Most High says, And We have sent down to you (O Muhammad) the Book (the Qur'aan) in truth, confirming the Scriptures that came before it and trustworthy in highness and a witness over it (old scriptures). So judge between them by what Allah has revealed, and follow not their vain desires. [Al-Qur'aan 5:48].
3. It is our belief that both the Torah and the Bible were abrogated by the Qur'aan, and that they were changed by means of additions or deletions by their followers. This was indicated in some verses of Allahs Book the Noble Qur'aan. Allah the Most High says in His Qur'aan, So because of their breach of their covenant, We cursed them, and made their hearts grow hard. They change the words from their (right) places and have abandoned a good part of the Message that was sent to them. And you will not cease to discover deceit in them, except a few of them. [Al-Qur'aan 5:13]. Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands and then say, This is from Allah. To purchase with it a little price! Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for that they earn thereby. [Al-Qur'aan 2:79].
And verily, among them is a party who distort the Book with their tongue (as they read), so that you may think it is from the Book, but it is not from the Book, and they say, This is from Allah, but it is not from Allah; and they speak a lie against Allah while they know it. [Al-Qur'aan 3:78]
Accordingly, even whatever is considered as correct in these Books, has been abrogated by Islam. The remaining parts are altered. This is proved by the following incident:
The Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) got angry when he saw Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab holding a sheet containing some verse from the Torah and he said to him, O! Omar! Are you in doubt? Have I not brought it (the Message) as clear as white? If my brother Musa ('alaihi salaam) had been alive, he would have followed me. Narrated by Ahmed, Ad-Daarimi and others.
4. Another fundamental of Faith in Islam is that our Prophet and Messenger Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is the seal of all the prophets and messengers. Allah says, Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is not the father of any man among you, but he is the Messenger of Allah and the last (end) of the Prophets. And Allah is Ever all-Aware of everything. [Al-Qur'aan 33:40]. As such, no other messenger is left to be followed except Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam). If any of Allahs prophets and messengers had been alive, they too along with their followers would have followed Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam).
Allah the Most High says, And (Remember) when Allah took the Covenant of the Prophets, saying Take whatever I gave you from the Book and Hikmah (understanding of the Laws of Allah, etc) and afterwards there will come to you a Messenger (Muhammad) confirming what is with you. You must then believe in him and help him. Allah said: Do you agree (to it) and will you take up My covenant (which I conclude with you)? They said, We agree. He said Then bear witness; and I am with you among the witnesses (for this) . [Al-Qur'aan 3:81]
When Jesus ('alaihi salaam), the prophet of Allah comes in the later time, he will follow Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) and rule according to Muhammads legislation. Allah the Most High says, Those who follow the Messenger, the Prophet who can neither read not write (Muhammad ) whom they find written with them in the Tauraah (Torah) (Deut.cviii,15) and the Injeel (Gospel John xiv,16.) [Al-Qur'aan 7:157].
In addition, one of the basic pillars of faith in Islam is that Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) was sent to all human beings, and Allah says, Say (O Muhammad) O mankind! Verily, I am sent to you all as the Messenger of Allah to Whom belongs the dominion of the heaven and the earth, none has the right to be worshipped but He. [Al-Qur'aan 7:158].
5. One of the fundamentals of Islam is that any Jew or Christian who does not embrace Islam should be considered and designated as an unbeliever (Kafir) as well as an enemy of Allah, of His messengers and the Believers ( Muminoon ), and such people will be the people of the Fire in accordance to Allahs Saying that, Those who disbelieve from among the people of the Scriptures (Jews and Christians) and among al-Mushrikin, were not going to leave (their disbelief) until there came to them clear evidence." [Al-Qur'aan 98:1].
And Allah Says, Verily, those who disbelieve (in the religion of Islam, the Qur'aan and Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam)) from among the people of the Scriptures (Jews and Christians) and al-Mushrikin will abide in the Fire of Hell. They are the worst of creatures. [Al-Qur'aan 98:6]
It was narrated in Sahih Muslim that the Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said, Anyone of this Ummah, whether a Jew or a Christian who heard about me and died without believing in what was revealed to me, he will be among the people of the Hell- Fire .
Based on the above, anyone who does not charge Jews and Christians with Kufr will be a Kaafir himself according to the Shariah principle. (i.e. Anyone who does not charge the Kaafir with Kufr will be Kaafir himself.)
6. Adulterating the fundamentals of Islamic Faith and the facts of Islamic law (Shariah) to serve the call (for the unification of religions), by mixing them together and casting them in one mold is but a wicked call. It aims at mixing the Truth with Falsehood, destroying Islam, demolishing its foundations and bringing all Muslims to clear apostasy (Riddah). This can be seen in the saying of Allah the Most High, And they will never cease fighting you until they turn you back from your religion (Islamic Monotheism) if they can. [Al-Qur'aan 2:217].
Allah Says, They wish that you reject Faith, as they have rejected (Faith), and thus that you all become equal (like one another). [Al-Qur'aan 4:89]
7. The inevitable consequence of such evil calls are:
- The cancellation of differences between Islam and Kufr, Truth and Falsehood and negation of enjoining right and forbidding wrong
- Breaking of barriers of alienation between Muslims and Kafiroon (unbelievers) so that no loyalty nor Jihad nor for the sake of elevating Allahs Word on Allahs earth may take place. Allah, the Most High, commands,
- Fight against those who (1) do not believe in Allah, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, (4) those who acknowledge not the religion of the Truth i.e. Islam among the people of the Scriptures (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued. [Al-Qur'aan 9:29
And fight against the Mushrikun (polytheist, pagans, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah) collectively, as they fight against you collectively. But know that Allah is with the pious. [Al-Qur'aan 9:36]
Had this (unification) call emanated from a Muslim, it would be considered explicit Riddah (apostasy) from Islam, as it is in conflict with the principles of Islamic faith, and accepts disbelief in Allah - the Glorified. This call annuls what was proved by the Qur'aan as true, and denies that the Qur'aan has abrogated all the books that preceded it, and also negates that Islam had abrogated all the previous religions. Based on this, the call for unification is rejected according to Shariah and is strictly prohibited by all evidences of Islam in the Qur'aan, the Sunnah and Ijmaa' (consensus).
Based on the aforesaid:
- It is not permissible for any Muslim who believes in Allah as the Rabb (Lord), in Islam as the religion, and Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) as a Prophet and Messenger, to call for this abominable belief, or encourage others to join it, or spread it among other Muslims, let alone accepting it, attending its conferences or symposiums and affiliating with its assemblies.
- It is prohibited for any Muslim to print the Torah and the Bible even independently. So, how could it be permissible to print them with the Qur'aan in one book? Accordingly, whoever does that, or calls for it, has strayed far away (from the right path), as this is but a combination of the Truth (the Noble Qur'aan) with the altered or abrogated books of the Torah and the Bible.
- It is prohibited for any Muslim to respond to that call for building (a mosque, church and a temple) in one complex, as this would imply a confession that there are religions by which Allah can be worshipped besides Islam. This would also involve a denial that Islam is the purest of all the other religions. It would also imply a serious admission that religions are three and that people on the earth may adopt whatever they wish of them equally, and that Islam has not superseded the religions that preceded it.
- Undoubtedly, approving, believing or accepting this call is considered Kufr (disbelief) and explicit error as it plainly contradicts the Noble Qur'aan, the Purified Sunnah and the Muslims Ijma (consensus). It would also imply an agreement that the alterations done by Jews and Christians are from Allah - Glory Be to Him. Moreover, it is not permissible to call churches Allahs houses, as the Christians do not perform a correct worship that is accepted by Allah, and it is a kind of worship not based on Islam. Allah the Most High says, And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the hereafter he will be one of the losers. 3:85.
- Rather they (churches) are houses where Kufr in Allah is practiced. We seek refuge with Allah from Kufr and those who belong to it. Shaykh Al-Islam Ibn Taimiyyah may Allah rest his soul in peace stated in Majmou' Al-Fatawa (Collection of Islamic Rulings) 162/22 as follows:
"Churches and synagogues are not Allahs houses, but Allahs Houses are the mosques. Rather, they (churches and synagogues) are houses of Kufr even though Allahs Name is mentioned in them. Houses are regarded according to the creed of the people. These people rejected Allahs last prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam), and as such they are Kuffaar (disbelievers), hence theirs are but houses designated for the worship practiced by the Kuffaar."
It is noteworthy that calling the Kuffaar in general and the people of the Book in particular to Islam, is incumbent upon all Muslims as per the explicit texts of our Noble Book the Qur'aan, and the Sunnah. However, a response may not be achieved except through kind words and sound arguments. It should nonetheless be done on condition not to drop any of the rules of Islam, so that they might either be convinced of Islam and embrace it, or reject it and die after a clear warning (had been given) to them. Allah the Most High says, Say (O Muhammad) O people of the Scripture! (Jews and Christians) Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allah, and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords, besides Allah. Then if they turn away, say Bear witness that we are Muslims. [Al-Qur'aan 3:64]
However, debates, meetings and dialogue held with them in order to enable them in achieving their desires, fulfilling their aims, breaking the bonds of Islam and rending the Fundamentals of Islamic Faith are all considered as invalid, which is rejected by Allah, His Messenger and all believers. Allah the Most High says, And follow not their vain desires, but beware of them lest they turn you (O Muhammad) far away from some of that which Allah has sent down to you. [Al-Qur'aan 5:49]
The committee, in resolving and issuing this verdict for all people, also asks all Muslims in general and scholars in particular, to fear Allah and protect Islam and preserve the Muslim Creed from error, and its callers-to-error and from Kufr and its people.
It also urges them to take precautions against this obvious Call of Unbelief (for the Unification of Religions) and against falling into its traps. We seek refuge with Allah for every Muslim from becoming a reason for bringing such an error to the Muslim nations and spreading it among them.
We ask Allah by His Supreme Names and Attributes to protect us from these devious afflictions and make us guides and be guided to the Right Path, and make us protectors of Islam deriving light and guidance from our Rabb till we meet Him and He is pleased with us. He is the Grantor of success, and may His salaam be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and all his companions.
The Presidency of Administration of Islamic Research and Ifta Riyadh Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Under The General Supervision of the Grand Council Of Scholars Fatwa No: 19402, Dated 25 Muharram 1418 H The Permanent Committee for Islamic Research and Ifta (Verdict) Abdul-Aziz Ibn Ibn Baz, President Abdul-Aziz Ibn Abdullah Al-Shaykh Abdullah, Vice President Salih Ibn Fawzan Al-Fawzan, Member Bakr Ibn Abdullah Abu Zaid, Member